Heart disease and stroke are the first and fourth leading causes of death in the United States. Heart disease is responsible for 1 of every 4 deaths in the country. Million Hearts® is a national initiative that has set an ambitious goal to prevention 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017. The impact will be even greater over time.
Million Hearts® aims to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
- Improving access to effective care.
- Improving the quality of care for the ABCS.
- Focusing clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke.
- Activating the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle.
- Improving the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications for the ABCS.
The Million Hearts® initiative will focus, coordinate, and enhance cardiovascular disease prevention activities across the public and private sectors in an unprecedented effort to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017 and demonstrate to the American people that improving the health system can save lives. Million Hearts® will scale-up proven clinical and community strategies to prevent heart disease and stroke across the nation.
Million Hearts® brings together existing efforts and new programs to improve health across communities and help Americans live longer, healthier, more productive lives. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are the co-leaders of Million Hearts® within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, working alongside other federal agencies including the Administration for Community Living, National Institutes of Health, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Food and Drug Administration, the Health Resources and Services Administration, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the Office of the National Coordinator, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Key private-sector partners include the American Heart Association, and YMCA, among many others.
In 2012, the initiative's first year, Million Hearts® built strong partnerships to ensure steady progress toward preventing 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017. Check out just a few examples of how partners worked to improve heart health—a focus on the ABCS, using health information technology, and working in teams.
Explore Innovations & Progress Notes to stay up to date with Million Hearts® and partner efforts to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes.
- Million Hearts® Begins with You Infographic [PDF-327K]
- Million Hearts® Fact Sheet [PDF-1M]
- Million Hearts®: Strategies to Reduce the Prevalence of Leading Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Learn about the science of Million Hearts®.
- The American Heart Association and the Million Hearts® Initiative: A Presidential Advisory From the American Heart Association [PDF-286K]
American Heart Association
- The "Million Hearts®" Initiative—Preventing Heart Attacks and Strokes
New England Journal of Medicine
- New Public-Private Sector Initiative Aims to Prevent 1 Million Heart Attacks and Strokes in Five Years [PDF-132K]
Press release issued 09/13/2011
Note: PDF documents available from this page require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader®.