Heart disease and stroke are an epidemic in the United States today. The good news is that many of the major risk factors for these conditions can be prevented and controlled.
On February 1, 2012, Million Hearts® launched a challenge to bloggers to help prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017. To participate in the “Heart Healthiest Blog in America Challenge”, bloggers will prompt their readers to sign the Million Hearts® pledge of commitment to take control of their heart health.
The blogger who recruits the most pledges within the month of February will win a lively, fast-paced, online video chat with Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and co-leader of the Million Hearts® initiative. The online video chat will be recorded, and the blogger will be given a copy.
About the Pledge
Million Hearts® is asking Americans to make a pledge:
- Prevent heart disease and stroke in your families by understanding the risks
- Know your ABCS—Appropriate Aspirin Therapy, Blood Pressure Control, Cholesterol Control, Smoking Cessation
- Get up and get active
- Fuel your body by eating a heart-healthy diet, high in fresh fruits and vegetables and low in sodium, saturated and trans fats, and cholesterol
- Take control of your heart health by following your doctor’s instructions for medications and treatment
For more information go to http://millionhearts.hhs.gov/be_one_mh.html.
In order to be entered into the contest and be eligible to win the prize, bloggers should write at least one post referencing the Million Hearts® pledge and link to the website (http://millionhearts.hhs.gov). Pledge referrals will be tallied at the end of February and a winner will be announced in early March.
Bloggers are invited to use their creativity to recruit pledges and to speak in their own voices. However, bloggers who use any of the following will be deemed ineligible to win:
- Hate speech
- Profanity, obscenity, or vulgarity
- Nudity in profile pictures
- Defamation to a person or people
- Name calling and/or personal attacks
- Content that infringes on copyrights
- Spam comments, such as the same comment posted repeatedly on a profile
- Lobbying for a specific bill or law
For More Information
For more information about the blogger challenge and how to participate, please contact Dana Allen-Greil at firstname.lastname@example.org. To add a challenge badge to your web site, please visit our Buttons & Badges page. Follow @MillionHeartsUS on Twitter for updates on the Blogger Challenge and other exciting events throughout American Heart Month.