Congratulations to the 2013 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Champions:
- Broadway Internal Medicine PC; Queens, NY
- Cheshire Medical Center/Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene; Keene, NH
- Jen Brull, M.D.; Plainville, KS
- Nilesh V. Patel, M.D., FRCS(Eng); Audubon, PA
- Pawhuska Indian Health Center (U.S. Indian Health Service); Pawhuska, OK
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California
- River Falls Medical Clinic; River Falls, WI
- ThedaCare; Appleton, WI
- Veterans Health Administration (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)
About the Challenge
The Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge was a competitive challenge to identify practices, clinicians, and health systems that have worked with their patients to achieve hypertension control rates at or above 70%. The Champions used a variety of hypertension control strategies to achieve the 70% control rate, including
- Designating hypertension champions within a practice or organization. Providing feedback to individual clinicians and clinic sites on hypertension control rates, providing incentives for high performance, and recognizing high performers.
- Taking action to improve medication adherence, including patient rewards for medication adherence, prescribing once-daily regimens, fixed-dose combination pills, or 90-day medication refills, and frequent follow-ups.
- Implementing consistent, strategic use of electronic health records that include clinical decision support tools, patient reminders, and registry functionality.
- Using team-based care models to engage a broad scope of care providers, including but not limited to pharmacists and nurses.Â Expanding the team-based care model to include staff trained in blood pressure measurement techniques who can assist in obtaining patients' blood pressure readings.
- Promoting patient self-measured blood pressure monitoring with clinical support, in which patients monitor their blood pressure at home, communicate the readings to their clinician, and receive medication adjustments or lifestyle modifications.
- Staying connected to patients by conducting outreach and providing supports, through patient portals, implementing steps to improve appointment adherence, and following up about blood pressure checks.
Million Hearts® has developed several resources to promote and share the 2013 Challenge Champions' successes in hypertension control.Â You can be a part of the effort to highlight their work.Â Find resources to help promote the 2013 Challenge Champions.
Million Hearts® will continue to highlight the Champions' successes through 2014. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to share your plans for promoting the Challenge Champions or if you have questions about the Challenge.