As a Health Care Professional
- Use registries to identify and proactively target patients who can benefit from a focus on the ABCS (could benefit from an aspirin regimen; have uncontrolled high blood pressure; need to manage cholesterol; need to stop smoking.)
- Adopt a standardized treatment approach for the ABCS; protocols and algorithms can help the team help patients.
- Ask about barriers to medication adherence and help find solutions like pill boxes, alarms, vibrating watches, and mobile apps.
- Build and maintain an effective health care team to assess, assist, and monitor patients.
- Use electronic health records to track patient and team progress over time and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Embed reminders in the electronic health record system to flag patients in need of additional treatment or follow-up.
- Set specific goals for treatment and discuss the most effective ways patients can reduce their risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
- Train patients to use validated home blood pressure monitors and incorporate readings into decision making.
- Help your patients develop heart-healthy habits, such as regular exercise, eating a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, and using stress reduction techniques. Provide tools to show their progress and access to team members to help them succeed.
- FOLLOW UP
- Stay in touch between visits.
- Identify and activate community-based resources, like free blood pressure screenings, to help patients achieve and maintain control.
By clicking 'Count Me In', you are pledging your support to Million Hearts®. By becoming a pledge, you allow CDC and HHS to use and share information you provide in order to further the Million Hearts® goal. This information includes: your city, state, zip code, and date and time of your pledge. As federal organizations, CDC and HHS must disclose all information as required by law.
By providing your e-mail address you allow CDC and HHS to send you Million Hearts® related news and information. There will be an opportunity to unsubscribe should you choose to stop receiving these updates.