Make Control Your Goal Blood Pressure Toolkit
Blood pressure control is critical to preventing heart attacks and strokes. The Million Hearts® Make Control Your Goal Blood Pressure Toolkit was designed to help health care professionals address high blood pressure in their practice and provide resources to support their patients.
For Health Care Professionals
- Patient Visit Checklist: Supporting Your Patients with High Blood Pressure [PDF-300K]
Effective provider-patient communication improves health outcomes and saves time. Use this checklist with sample questions to communicate better with your patients during every visit.
- Improving Medication Adherence Among Patients with Hypertension [PDF-1M]
Medication adherence is critical to successful hypertension control for most patients. Find out how you can help.
- Community Guide Overview: Team-Based Care Can Improve Blood Pressure Control [PDF-168K]
This two-page fact sheet includes key findings about the importance of team-based care.
For Your Patients
Download and print or share these materials with your patients during or in between visits.
- How to Make Control Your Goal (English) [PDF-1M]
- How to Make Control Your Goal (Spanish) [PDF-516K]
- Supporting Your Loved One with High Blood Pressure (English) [PDF-521K]
- Supporting Your Loved One with High Blood Pressure (Spanish) [PDF-827K]
- What is High Blood Pressure? Consumer Fact Sheet [PDF-1.6M]
- My Blood Pressure Wallet Card (Customizable) [PDF-920K]
Partners can use the resources in the Million Hearts® Partners Toolkit to expand their existing heart disease and stroke prevention programs and to recruit others to improve clinical preventive practice and community prevention.
Hispanic/Latino Americans die most often from heart disease, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases. These Spanish-language resources are designed to help these groups get the information and tools they need to improve their heart health.
- Four Steps for Heart Health [PDF-821K] (Spanish)
- Four Steps for Heart Health [PDF-278K] (English)
- Community Health Workers Fact Sheet [PDF-402K]
- How to Control Your Hypertension by Learning to Control Your Sodium Intake: a Fotonovela [PDF-3M]
- How to Control Your Hypertension by Learning to Control Your Sodium Intake: Promotora Guide [PDF-1M]
- Million Hearts website (Español)
Additional Spanish-Language Resources
Ten Tips Nutrition Education Series based on recommendations from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
The Ten Tips Nutrition Education Series provide a wealth of suggestions that can help one get started toward eating a healthy diet. The Tips series, developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), provide consumers and health professionals with high quality, easy-to-follow tips in a convenient, printable format. Some Tips are highlighted below. The full series is available on the USDAâ€™s website: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-tips/ten-tips.html.
- Choose MyPlate [PDF-62K]
- Focus on Fruits [PDF-152K]
- Make Half Your Grains Whole [PDF-69K]
- Add More Vegetables to Your Day [PDF-584K]
- Got Your Dairy Today? [PDF-48K]
Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans provide science-based guidance to help Americans aged 6 and older improve their health through appropriate physical activity. The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, along with the USDA, are responsible for publishing the Physical Activity Guidelines.
To view the "Be Active Your Way: A Guide for Adults" in Spanish, visit: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/pdf/PAG_Spanish_Booklet.pdf [PDF-767K].
Know Stroke Toolkit
The Know Stroke Toolkit, from the National Institutes of Health, is designed for lay health educators (promotores de salud), community leaders, and health care professionals to educate Hispanics about the signs of stroke and the importance of calling 911 promptly. The toolkit includes a 13-minute Spanish-language video and complimentary brochures.
The kit also contains a bilingual, laminated, stand-alone flipchart [PDF-18M] (14" x 17"), that illustrates the different types of stroke, risk factors and symptoms, and a poster that highlights the benefits of getting treatment within one hour. The toolkit also is available in English.
The Million Hearts® Speakers Toolkit was developed to help Million Hearts® partners talk about their actions to support the initiative with other heart health stakeholders, and potential partners, nationwide.
Note: PDF documents available from this page require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader®.