Cardiac Rehabilitation is Underused Infographic
Click on the infographic to view in full size and to download.
Text description of this infographic: Million Hearts® infographic titled Cardiac Rehabilitation is Underused: Cardiac Rehabilitation, Enrollment, Engagement, and Completion Among Medicare Beneficiaries Aged 65 and Over who had a primary qualifying event in 2017. Qualifying events include hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction; coronary artery bypass graft surgery; heart valve repair or replacement; percutaneous coronary intervention; or heart or heart-lung transplant. Details of the infographic include:
- 29% of patients initiated Cardiac Rehabilitation (CR) sessions
- 23% of patients attended up to 12 sessions
- 17% of patients attended up to 24 sessions
- 8% of patients attended up to 36 sessions (considered to be a full dose of CR)
- Enrollment rates by sex: 3 men to 2 women initiated CR sessions
- Enrollment rates by race/ethnicity: 2 non-Hispanic White people to 1 non-Hispanic Black person initiated CR sessions
Source: Keteyian SJ, Jackson SL, Chang A, et al. Tracking Cardiac Rehabilitation Utilization in Medicare
Beneciaries: 2017 Update. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2022;42(4):235-245.