November 19 is the Great American Smokeout
Smoking is one of the leading causes of heart disease and stroke. At least 70% of cigarette smokers see a clinician annually, [PDF – 381K] and most want to quit.
The American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout takes place on November 19, 2020. It’s the perfect time to encourage patients in your practice and people in your community to quit tobacco.
Throughout November and beyond, Million Hearts® will share tobacco cessation resources on social media to empower people to quit. We invite you to promote them on your social media channels as well.
Tobacco Cessation Resources
Find shareable resources for patients and professionals from Million Hearts®, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Office on Smoking and Health (OSH), and our partners.
- Million Hearts® Tobacco Cessation Change Package
- Million Hearts® Tobacco Use
- Million Hearts® Action Guide: Identifying and Treating Patients Who Use Tobacco: Action Steps for Clinicians [PDF – 339 KB]
- Million Hearts® Tobacco Cessation Protocols
- CDC Tips From Former Smokers® Campaign
- National Cancer Institute: Smokefree.gov
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Smoking Cessation Evidence and Resources
Connect with Us
Follow @MillionHeartsUS and @CDCHeart_Stroke on Twitter to share our tweets about tobacco cessation directly on your pages.
Connect with other health care professionals and share the latest in cardiovascular health from the Million Hearts® LinkedIn page.
Social Media Messages
Share these sample social media messages on your channels to encourage people to quit smoking and using tobacco.
- November 19 is the #GreatAmericanSmokeout, a perfect time to encourage people in your practice to quit tobacco. Learn to identify and treat tobacco users with these 5 steps from Million Hearts [tag]. http://bit.ly/2a21xTr
- At least 70% of cigarette smokers see a clinician annually, and most of them want to quit. You can help patients quit tobacco with these evidence-based action guides and protocols from Million Hearts [tag]. #GreatAmericanSmokeout https://bit.ly/34rRz9g
- More than 3 in 4 tobacco users do not receive evidence-based cessation counseling or medicine at health care visits. Learn how to identify and treat patients who use tobacco with cessation resources from Million Hearts [tag]. #GreatAmericanSmokeout https://bit.ly/34rRz9g
- Quitting smoking is hard. Clinician-led care is proven to help smokers quit—for good. Million Hearts [tag] has tobacco cessation resources to help you get started. #GreatAmericanSmokeout http://bit.ly/2w81VbE
- Health care professionals: Increase reach and effectiveness of #TobaccoCessation interventions with the Million Hearts [tag] Tobacco Cessation Change Package. Download today! #MillionHeartsQI #GreatAmericanSmokeout
- November 19 is the #GreatAmericanSmokeout, a time to encourage people to quit smoking. Help #tobacco users quit with this @MillionHeartsUS action guide. http://bit.ly/2a21xTr
- Smoking increases risk for heart disease and stroke. Help your patients quit #tobacco for good with these @MillionHeartsUS tools. http://bit.ly/2w81VbE #GreatAmericanSmokeout
- Only 25% of #tobacco users leave a health visit with evidence-based care. Use these @MillionHeartsUS tools to help patients quit. https://bit.ly/34rRz9g #GreatAmericanSmokeout
- Evidence-based tools and protocols can help #tobacco users quit for good. Check out these @MillionHeartsUS tobacco cessation resources. http://bit.ly/2w81VbE #GreatAmericanSmokeout
- Health care professionals: Increase reach and effectiveness of #TobaccoCessation interventions with the @MillionHeartsUS Tobacco Cessation Change Package. Download today! http://bit.ly/2kqXV4u #GreatAmericanSmokeout