Million Hearts® in Municipalities Tool Kit
In response to growing interest at the local level, CDC’s Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (DHDSP) and the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)external icon created the Million Hearts® in Municipalities Tool Kit.
The Million Hearts® in Municipalities Tool Kit is intended to assist local and state health departments to be active partners in the Million Hearts® initiative.
The Tool Kit can be used to support planning, developing, implementing, and monitoring cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention activities at the municipal, county, or state levels.
Use the Million Hearts® in Municipalities Tool Kit modules individually or as a package to identify or expand evidence-based strategies that are appropriate for the specific needs of your community.
The target audiences for this Tool Kit are public health officials, epidemiologists, health system analysts, and clinical care teams working in municipal public health offices, as well as people working in non-governmental organizations and other local public health organizations.
The five modules will help you answer the following questions:
- What priorities can be addressed to improve prevention and control efforts of CVD in your municipality?
- What municipal assets and expertise can be built upon to implement Million Hearts® goals and strategies?
- Who are the key partners to engage in municipal CVD prevention efforts?
- How will your team communicate your Million Hearts® efforts to drive interest and action?
- How effective are the identified priorities, goals, and strategies in preventing CVD in your municipality?
The Million Hearts® in Municipalities Tool Kit has five modules, which you can use individually or as a package. Download and share the following Tool Kit modules and the accompanying Action Plan template:
- Overview pdf icon[PDF – 611 KB]
This module introduces key principles and concepts of Million Hearts®.
- Setting Goals pdf icon[PDF – 521 KB]
This module provides key concepts, principles, and resources to support setting municipal Million Hearts® goals.
- Partnerships pdf icon[PDF – 495 KB]
This module provides information on building and maintaining partnerships to support Million Hearts® efforts.
- Communication pdf icon[PDF – 423 KB]
This module provides resources and tools to effectively communicate about municipal Million Hearts® efforts.
- Evaluation and Monitoring pdf icon[PDF – 469 KB]
This module provides resources and information to support evaluating and monitoring municipal Million Hearts® efforts.
- Action Plan Template pdf icon[PDF – 47 KB]
This one-page, fillable table can help you outline the next steps for your planning team and help identify who is responsible for each step and your due dates.
For more information, email MillionHearts@cdc.gov.