About Million Hearts® 2027
Every 36 seconds in the United States, an adult dies from cardiovascular disease (CVD). These are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and friends—all gone because of a disease that is largely preventable.
Million Hearts® exists for the sole purpose of saving more of the lives taken and protecting more of the lives impacted by heart disease and stroke in the United States.
We believe in the real possibility of averting one million preventable CVD events in the next five years (January 2022–December 2026).
We believe in a future where all people—from health care and public health professionals to the populations and patients they serve—embrace this possibility as attainable, and where they collaborate and respond accordingly.
Million Hearts® is a national initiative co-led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)external icon.
CDC’s Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention provides leadership and support for the Million Hearts® initiative, which began in 2012.
What We Do
Million Hearts® exists to
- Convene health care and public health champions
- Facilitate impactful collaboration and resource sharing
- Promote implementation of evidence-based strategies to prevent cardiovascular disease
- Address health inequity through specific policies, processes, and practices
To optimize the possibility of preventing one million preventable CVD events in the next five years, Million Hearts® prioritized strategies for building healthy communities and optimizing care through a committed focus on specific populations experiencing inequities. A 20% improvement in key indicators would translate to one million fewer events over a five year period.
Million Hearts® 2027 Priorities
People With Lower Incomes
- Follow Million Hearts® on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to amplify key messages, access and share tools and resources, and connect with Million Hearts® partners.
- Promote Million Hearts® priorities and strategies by sharing and presenting these slides ppt icon[PPT – 2 MB].
- Sign up for the Million Hearts® eUpdate. This bi-monthly newsletter features news, tools, and science you can use.
- Syndicate Million Hearts® content on your website. Put the Million Hearts® microsite to work for you by syndicating our quality collection of tools and quality improvement resources.
- Implement evidence-based strategies to prevent heart attacks and strokes by using the protocols, change packages, action guides, and resources relevant to help you meet the Million Hearts® targets and priorities.
- Register to attend a Million Hearts® Learning Labexternal icon, a clinical training series that offers continuing medical education credits.
- Find and share materials for patients and individuals from these Million Hearts® and CDC Foundation campaigns and announcements:
- “Start Small. Live Big.”external icon This campaign encourages adults 55 and older, to get back on track with the small steps—like scheduling their medical appointments, getting active, and eating healthy—so they can get back to living big.
- “Live to the Beat.”external icon This campaign focuses on empowering Black adults to pursue heart-healthy lifestyles on their own terms—to find what works best individually and consistently— as they live to their own beat.
- COVID-19 Heart Health Messages. These resources spotlight the importance of heart health during the COVID-19 pandemic by encouraging people to keep up with their regular heart health appointments and to seek emergency treatment when needed.
Million Hearts® partners are working hard to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes within the next 5 years.
Want to get inspired? Read partner testimonials to learn what motivated these groups and organizations to help support Million Hearts® goals.