Million Hearts® Hospitals & Health Systems Recognition Program
Million Hearts® would like to recognize the following groups for becoming the newest Million Hearts® Health Systems!
- HopeHealth (Florence, South Carolina)
- The Ohio State University and Wexner Medical Center (Columbus, Ohio)
Heart disease, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases account for 1 in every 3 deaths in the United States. Cardiovascular disease is the nation’s leading cause of death among both men and women and the leading cause of health disparities.
Hospitals and health systems are critical to the overall cardiovascular health of the population. Whether migrating toward value-based reimbursement or simply striving for a significant impact by reducing the devastating effects of heart attacks and strokes, hospitals and other clinical organizations can improve cardiovascular health by implementing high-impact, evidence-based strategies.
The Million Hearts® team understands the immense challenges hospitals and health systems face as they continue to contend with the COVID-19 pandemic. We have also seen some incredible innovation arise as health care evolves to continue to meet the needs of all patients, staff, and surrounding communities amidst this challenge. We encourage hospitals and health systems to submit these innovations as part of their application, enabling Million Hearts® to highlight and share this critical work with others. And if there are other ways Million Hearts® can support your work, please let us know.
Applications will be open in Spring 2021. Click here to download a PDF of the application pdf icon[PDF – 272 KB]. Please send any questions to MHHospitals@chronicdisease.org.
About the Program
The Million Hearts® Hospitals & Health Systems Recognition Program acknowledges institutions working to systematically improve the cardiovascular health of the population and communities they serve.
Designees are recognized for their work in priority areas of the Million Hearts® initiative:
- Keeping People Healthy by creating a healthy environment for patients, staff, and visitors.
- Optimizing Care to help people prevent heart and kidney disease and stroke by achieving excellence in the ABCS (aspirin, blood pressure, cholesterol, smoking cessation) and cardiac rehabilitation.
- Improving Outcomes for Priority Populations by focusing improvement efforts on specific subsets of the population with high disease burden and risk.
- Innovating for Health to improve cardiovascular outcomes through innovative approaches.
Achieving a Million Hearts® Hospitals & Health Systems designation signals an organization’s commitment not only to clinical quality but also to population health overall.
Read our spotlight on Eisenhower Health to learn how it achieved a Million Hearts® Hospital designation.
Who Can Apply
The Million Hearts® Hospitals & Health Systems Recognition Program is open to:
- Health systems with multiple hospitals
- Hospitals with and without ambulatory medical practices
- Medical practices not affiliated with hospitals
- Community health centers
- Any clinical entity whose leaders consider it eligible
This program is not currently accepting applications, but expect to re-open for new submissions in Spring 2021.
Learn more about program rules and eligibility requirements.
For more information about the Million Hearts® Hospitals & Health Systems Recognition Program, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Recognition Program” in the subject line.
Clinicians, practices, and health systems that have demonstrated excellence in hypertension control by reaching an 80% control rate among their hypertensive patients may be eligible to be recognized as a Hypertension Control Champion through the Hypertension Control Challenge. Read more about the Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge.